We may be able to help with money problems.

When you contact Legal Aid Society for help with a money problem, the help that we can provide will depend on the kind of problem. We will always help you find some resources for help and advice. We will always help you find some resources for help and advice. We don’t have lawyers to help with every case. But a lawyer from Legal Aid Society or our Volunteer Lawyers Program may be able to represent you in the following kinds of cases:

  • You are being cheated by a business in a way that breaks the law
  • You need help to stop bill collectors from breaking the law when they try to collect
  • You are being sued for a debt
  • You have a problem with a title loan, payday loan, check casing loan or other personal loan
  • You need help with a car repair
  • You need help with a car purchase
  • You need help with student loans
  • A business has cheated you out of money
  • You need a bankruptcy to protect your income or to restore a driver’s license
  • Is the IRS holding your tax refund?
  • Do you owe the IRS money?
  • Are you having problems with the IRS?


We also have Legal Help Booklets on this website. They may help you with your legal problem.

If you want to talk to a lawyer for advice about your problem, you can come to a Free Legal Help Clinic. Click to see times and dates for legal advice.

You can also go on-line and ask a lawyer a question. Click here for TNFreeLegal Answers.