We may be able to help with health and benefits problems.

When you contact Legal Aid Society for help with a health problem or to get or keep benefits like TennCare, SNAP or Families First, the help that we can provide will depend on the kind of problem. We will always help you find some resources for help and advice. We will always help you find some resources for help and advice. We don’t have lawyers to help with every case. But a lawyer from Legal Aid Society or our Volunteer Lawyers Program may be able to represent you in the following kinds of cases:

  • You need access to health care including TennCare, Medicaid, Medicare or CHOICES
  • You need help to pay for a nursing home
  • You need help to get home and community based services
  • You need help with Social Security or SSI
    You need help with Families First or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
  • You need help with food stamps or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
  • Your child needs help at school (Special Education)
  • You need a durable powers of attorney, durable power of attorney for health care and/or a Living Will
  • You need a court order to make decisions for someone else
  • You need a will


We also have Legal Help Booklets on this website. They may help you with your legal problem.

If you want to talk to a lawyer for advice about your problem, you can come to a Free Legal Help Clinic. Click to see times and dates for legal advice.

You can also go on-line and ask a lawyer a question. Click here for TNFreeLegal Answers.