Legal Aid Society (LAS) has an opening for a full-time (40 hours per week) Paralegal that will work with income-eligible seniors and their families. This position will be based out of the Nashville office (covering the 16 Tennessee counties served by LAS’s Nashville, Gallatin, Clarksville, and Murfreesboro offices) and will be part of the Tennessee Senior Law Alliance, created to serve seniors by strengthening and expanding services to reach even the most rural and underserved areas of the state. The position’s focus will be to help seniors address legal core issues such as accessing benefits and healthcare; obtaining and maintaining safe and secure housing; avoiding or escaping abuse and exploitation; protecting their finances on consumer issues and engaging in important estate planning activities such as creating wills, advance directives, and powers of attorney. The paralegal will provide case management support to attorneys in the Nashville, Gallatin, Clarksville and Murfreesboro offices; as well as educate, build networks, and provide outreach to community organizations and to low-income seniors and families.
- Must be committed to providing high quality advocacy on behalf of low-income seniors, families, and communities.
- Must have the ability to relate to the needs of seniors of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Must be able to provide case management to attorneys in legal subject matters to be addressed by the Consortium.
- Must have the ability to network with service providers, establish working relationships with news media and schedule community education events and activities.
- Must have ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be detailed oriented and have good organizational skills.
- Must be able to work independently and with a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and Legal Files database preferred. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Residence or intent to reside in the office’s service area and a sense of humor are preferred.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Prior experience working in the legal field is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher is preferred. High school diploma or GED is required.
- Spanish language ability is a plus.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: TSLA Paralegal
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Pike, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Position will remain open until filled.
Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. 9/1/2019