Legal Aid Society has an opening for a Re-Entry Attorney. This position will be located in our Nashville office and will serve the 48 county Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands service area. The lawyer will represent clients in civil cases that address barriers to re-entry erected by interaction with the criminal justice system. Under supervision of the Director of the Volunteer Lawyers Program, the lawyer will coordinate legal clinics across the service area and provide training to other LAS staff. Legal representation will include a special focus on assisting veterans with criminal records and people of color who have been disproportionately impacted by the criminal justice system. Areas include housing, employment, consumer, health and benefits, and other individual rights-related issues.
As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include administrative advocacy, litigation in state and federal courts, and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
- 5-7 years demonstrated commitment to criminal justice and racial justice advocacy preferred.
- Admitted to practice law in Tennessee.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Experience and ability to work with low-income and vulnerable individuals.
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to be flexible and creative with litigation strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and analysis skills.
- Experienced in public speaking and training others on the law.
- Good organizational skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and Legal Files database preferred. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Re-Entry Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.