Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for Lead Family Law Attorney in its Nashville office. The Attorney will provide day-to-day management of the Nashville Family Law Practice Group and promote efficient, high-quality advocacy. The attorney will also provide legal representation to eligible clients in civil cases who are seeking safety and independence. Primary clientele include low-income victims of domestic violence and sexual assault seeking Orders of Protection, custody, child support or divorce. As part of a holistic approach, representation may include varying areas of law as needed to ensure the health and safety of the victim. The Lead Family Law Attorney will also participate in administrative advocacy and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility, as well as provide requested administrative case information, as needed for specific funders.
Attorney will aid in the coordination of the civil-legal advocacy program for volunteer attorneys who assist victims/petitioners at Order of Protection hearings in Circuit and General Sessions Criminal/Civil Court.
- Admitted to practice in Tennessee or eligible for admission through UBE scores or comity.
- Three years of legal experience as an attorney with demonstrated interest in public interest law, family law, and issues unique to victims of domestic violence preferred.
- One year management experience preferred.
- No less than one year experience assisting domestic violence victims in civil and/or criminal courts.
- Substantive experience required for work under a specific funding source or in a specialized unit.
- Strict adherence to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team and independently.
- Experience in public speaking and training others on the law.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong typing and computer skills. Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc), Legal Files database, Westlaw, and Accurint preferred.
- Driver’s license and access to transportation.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Comprehensive benefits.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Lead Family Law Attorney Position
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. 9/23/2019