Legal Aid Society has an opening for an attorney in its Oak Ridge office. This attorney will legal representation and advocacy to eligible clients in civil cases, with a focus on housing law, and family law for victims of domestic violence, sexual trauma and stalking under the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) grant. Territory covers seven counties: Scott, Campbell, Claiborne, Union, Anderson, Morgan and Roane. As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include other areas of law as needed, administrative advocacy and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
This position is funded in part by a VOCA grant from OCJP and the attorney must adhere to goals and outcomes spelled out in the grant contract.
- 3-5 years of demonstrated experience as an attorney with housing, family law and issues unique to victims of domestic violence preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Admitted to practice law in Tennessee.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent relationship building, leadership and research skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and databases. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Written and spoken bilingual skills a plus.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Oak Ridge VOCA Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.