Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for a full-time (40 hours per week) receptionist/secretary in its Columbia, TN office. The receptionist/secretary will answer and return telephone calls, courteously greet the public, complete initial intake of new clients, provide clerical support, perform routine office duties including, transcription, data processing, pamphlet maintenance, record keeping and case file maintenance.
- Must be able to handle a high-volume of telephone calls and respond appropriately as determined by office protocol and priorities.
- Must be sensitive to the needs of low-income people and be able to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Must be able to transcribe dictation.
- Must have experience with Microsoft Office software. Experience with Legal Files database is a plus. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Must have strong typing, computer and proofreading skills.
- Must have good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate in English and Spanish is preferred.
- Prior experience working in the legal field are preferred.
- Some travel required.
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred. Equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered.
Salary: Dependent on Experience. Excellent benefits.
Legal Aid Society has eight offices that provide free civil legal services to 48 counties in Tennessee. Our attorneys and paralegals handle cases for low-income people in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer, federal income tax, health, social security, and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Director of Human Resources
Re: Columbia Receptionist/Secretary
Legal Aid Society
575 Oak Ridge Turnpike, Suite 201
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.