Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for an attorney in its Columbia office. The attorney will provide legal representation to income-eligible clients in civil cases, with a specific focus on consumer protection and housing/tenant’s rights advocacy or re-entry barriers for the formerly incarcerated. As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include varying areas of law as needed, community education and outreach, administrative advocacy, litigation in state and federal courts for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility
- 2-3 years demonstrated experience in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities preferred.
- Admitted to practice in Tennessee.
- Demonstrated interest in consumer and re-entry related law and issues unique to tenants’ rights.
- Has substantive experience required for work under a specific funding source or in a specialized unit.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experienced in public speaking and training others on the law.
- Good organizational skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and Legal Files database preferred. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Columbia Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. (8/5/2019)